Friday, October 14, 2011

Food or Fabric?

Chitterling:  "Ruff or frill having compact wrinkled folds resembling crinkled crepe paper; especially frill down front of bodice".  They have got to be making this up, right?  I mean, ruff and frill are perfectly good words for this kind of thing.  Oh!  Webster's has a more descriptive definition:  "The frill to the breast of a shirt, which when ironed out resembled the small entrails."  Right.  Because that's what you want the front of your shirt to resemble.  I have enough trouble spilling all over myself, don't hand me a shirt that looks like the food has been pre-applied.  Interestingly enough, if you want the food-esque meaning you have to use chitterlings, plural.  Now you get to the meat of the matter.  (Can you stand the hilarity?)   Chitterlings:  "The smaller intestines of swine, etc., fried for food."  I have yet to see a picture of chitterlings that put me in mind of frilly clothing.  So much to learn, I have.

Source:  The fashion dictionary; fabric, sewing, and apparel as expressed in the language of fashion.

1 comment:

cboy said...

I don't know where you get these ideas! Informative.