Thursday, June 16, 2011

A-lluring

When I was young, I had a Creepy Crawlers maker.  I loved it.  It was a metal mold plate, and you squeezed in colorful glue type stuff then heated it up. I made my own rubbery centipedes, worms, spiders, etc.  What was I thinking?  Centipedes totally freak me out and worms are not my friends. The best part was that my dad had me make some so he could use these as fishing lures.  Yeah, I was cool.  However real lures have real names. This title gives you some idea:  Luremaking : the art and science of spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, and other leadheads.  Here's some great names from Field & Stream's The 50 Greatest Lures of All Time:  Dardevle Spinnie; Mepps Aglia; Zara Spook; Gitzit; Storm WildEye Swimbait (sounds like the name of a racehorse); Gibbs Pencil Popper; Little Cleo; and finally the Curly Tail Grub, which my friend says could be a friend of SpongeBob's. If it is somebody is in trouble.  SpongeBob is a powerful force, woe to the fisherman who dares spike the Curly Tail Grub.

No comments: