Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sky High Heels

Stilettos.  Crazy scary shoes.   When browsing footwear I'm oft reminded of this quote from Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Giles:  "Look at those shoes.  If a fashion magazine told her to she'd wear cats strapped to her feet".  I find stilettos to be little works of art; beautiful but, come on, surely not meant to be worn. On the other hand they're so ubiquitous that I had forgotten the original meaning of the word, to wit:  "a slender dagger with a blade thick in proportion to its breadth".  So according to Webster's, a stiletto is a deadly weapon.  Why all the interest, you ask? I just finished the new so not-cozy mystery Dead Like You by Peter James, and couture shoes that require a balancing act figure heavily.  In the weapon-y sense, but I'll say no more!  I don't want to ruin it for you. I would like to express my awe for the brave, the strong, the fashionable who dare to wear these shoes. I'm not walking a mile in them.

Dead like you / Peter James

No comments: