Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I can Do it Myself

I'm reading Last rituals : an Icelandic novel of secret symbols, medieval witchcraft, and modern murder.  By Yrsa Sigurdardóttir.  I know! But I decided I didn't have to pronounce this so I'm good.  Anyway the main character is a lawyer and the mother of two, one a little girl.  Get this:  she brushes her daughter's teeth.  Now this kid is at least 6, and her arms and hands work just fine.  Every time I picture this it stops me reading long enough to think what? Then I get over myself.  Anyway I thought you'd like to know about toothbrushes.  Some kind of tooth cleaner has existed since around since 3000 B. C., the first being a stick rubbed against the teeth.  In 1498 the Chinese began to use boar bristles attached to a length of bone or bamboo.  In 1938 nylon bristles arrived and the modern toothbrush was born. Hurray! My source for these tidbits (Everyday Mysteries, Library of Congress) includes a photo of a 4-year-old nonchalantly brushing her own teeth.  She must be gifted.  Or I am unnaturally obsessed with oral hygiene practices in Iceland.  You decide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, love the humor