Friday, January 16, 2009

Did you even know this had a name?

Mondegreen. Apparently when author Sylvia Wright was a child she heard the song snippet 'laid him on the green' as 'Lady Mondegreen'. The American Heritage® Dictionary defines a mondregreen thus: "A series of words that result from the mishearing or misinterpretation of a statement or song lyric." See, I'm not even making this up. The Who's song I'm Free contains the lyric 'And freedom tastes of reality'. I was sure they were singing 'I'm free of the chains of reality'. And when Carly Simon was singing about that vain guy and mentioned clouds in my coffee, I heard grounds in my coffee. I still think my way makes more sense. One mondregreen is so famous it became the title of an Ed McBain novel. Guess which one!

If you scroll down on this web page you'll see a list of some nifty mondegreens: Fun with Words

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just learn something new every day.

My favorite mondegreen:

"Dead ants are my friends; they're blowin' in the wind."
"The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind."
Blowin' In The Wind, Bob Dylan