Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Flower Says What?

A flower says plenty, according to The Language of Flowers by Kate Greenaway.  I tried to make a sentence but came closer to a conversation:

'Beware of excess', said the Saffron.
'My happiest days are past',  sighed the Meadow Saffron
'I share your sentiments', the Garden Daisy replied.

I thought flowers just symbolized abstracts like youth, purity, love.  But they are really quite specific.  A sprig of ivy with tendrils is 'assiduous to please', for pete's sake.  Seems like a lot of work for a poor little sprig.  But my favorite is the dew plant (pictured) which says, 'serenade'.  Who doesn't like a good serenade?  So don't step on that dandelion.  It's a rustic oracle and gosh knows what it could tell you.  Besides whether or not you like butter.

Graphic Source:  N. IT. Gallery

No comments: