Tuesday, September 8, 2009

ifferisms

Tuesday, September 15 2009, 6:30 PM at the Central Library, Dr. Mardy Grothe discusses his lifelong passion for quotations. Especially the ones that start with the word 'if'. I tend to forget that 'if' phrases can be quotes from specific people. Lines like "If you build it they will come" are of very particular origin. And if you are an Iowan and don't know the origin of that one, you've been living in a barn, as in "Shut that door! Were you raised in a barn?". My favorite quotation that starts with 'if' goes like this.

If I were King of the foreeeest
Not queen, not duke, not prince.
My regal robes of the foreeeest,
Would be satin, not cotton, not chintz.
I'd command each thing, be it fish or fowl
With a woof and a woof and a royal growl --- woof."

Sublime.
Ifferisms
The Wizard of Oz DVD

No comments: